Hello India!!!

Hello India!!!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Conclusion: I’m either making the biggest mistake of my life or the most life-changing decision of my life….


WOW. It’s finally done. The day I’ve never expected is waiting at my door. I don’t know what to do, what to say, what to think. I’m speechless. I can’t even identify all the emotions I’m feeling inside me. There’s a tornado inside me; the hot and cold air twisting in bittersweet rotation; the pretty-ugly sight destroying and creating itself in front of me. The oxymorons are endless. The contradictions have become familiar, though.

I remember jumping on an airplane with my small luggage, curly hair, purple jacket and black dress. The plane took off. My dragonfly-heart pumped. I was excited but scared. And I remember thinking to myself: I’m either making the biggest mistake of my life or the most life-changing decision of my life.”

After everything has been said and done, it’s quite obvious now that this short 4 ½ month journey in India has been the most rewarding, eye-opening, mind-blowing and life-changing experience I’ve ever had in my 20 years of living. I do not regret anything I did in India. I’d do it all over again if I could. I’d do it a million times over.

But life is life. Life is complicated. Life is hard. Life is fun. Life is an adventure. Being in India I’ve really learned the true meaning of KAL HO NAA HO. Each day is something new; always a new adventure, new challenges, new fight, new rickshaw driver, new dog on the street, new experience, JUST NEW EVERYTHING. With all of this newness every single day I’ve come to appreciate the familiar things; the things that are old and redundant. I’ve come to enjoy seeing the same-old, same-old photographs, the people in my past and present that are in the United States, the home in St. Paul, etc.

Sometimes it’s not the new things that allow us to “live our lives to the fullest”. Sometimes it’s the new things that push us to realize the old things that we have in our lives; and it is then that we truly learn what makes our lives come to its fullest. And for me that is my Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment