Hello India!!!

Hello India!!!

Monday, March 28, 2011

No Make Up 2011


This year I decide to put away my high heels, Cover Girl cosmetics, high-fashion wardrobe and familiar faces behind and enter a whole new world. I was hoping to gain new relationships with strangers; get a new wardrobe of kurtis and kurtas, patialas, ali baba pants and shawls; gain new insights about this side of the world; new knowledge and understanding of where I stand in the world. And yes I’ve gained all these things but above and beyond these things is one thing I truly gained: I gained a deeper understanding of why I put those things away.
In putting away all these things I’ve gained new insights to them. Makeup for example: I don’t have to worry about spending money on them or how I look without makeup. This world is a beauty contest for women and makeup is the best strategy to win. But giving up makeup says loud and clear that I choose not to participate in the world’s biggest beauty pageant. In this dog-eat-dog world where women are pitted against each other in the media, of course women feel the need to cover up. Eventually that makeup (mask) becomes a part of their identity. And if she decides to go without makeup for one day people will be shock and start shooting “wow” firework in the air. And you know what else? If there’s a prize for beautiful, I guess I’ve already won that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment